It was 32 years ago today heavy metal music lost one of it’s greatest guitar heroes, Randy Rhoads. I remember seeing it on the news.  I didn’t yet comprehend that he was the guitar player on Ozzy’s Blizzard of Ozz record that was extremely popular at my little elementary school. It wouldn’t dawn on me until years later.  Randy Rhoads guitar playing has entertained and inspired me since I was 10.  When I started playing guitar and learning more about music he inspired my playing as he has millions of other guitarists dreaming of greatness.

Randy was a founding member of Quiet Riot, playing on their first two albums Quiet Riot and Quiet Riot II which were only released in Japan. Randy’s fame came from his blistering guitar work with heavy metal master Ozzy Osbourne. Randy joined Ozzy in 1979 and his work on the first two Ozzy albums, 1980′s Blizzard Of Ozz and 1981′s Diary Of A Madman, set the guitar playing world abuzz though just as important as his shredding abilities was his songwriting contributions to such metal classics as “Crazy Train,” “Mr. Crowley” and “Flying High Again.”

Here are a few great video’s of Randy Rhoads playing live with Ozzy.

Crazy Train

Suicide Solution

Dee (outtakes featured on Tribute to Randy Rhoads acoustic)
Dee was his mom.

Frank Hannon, guitarist of Tesla, interviews Delores Rhoads

Hannon visits where Randy learned guitar in the family music school.


Randy Rhoads Death

Details about the crash

Rhoads played his last show on Thursday, March 18, 1982 at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum.

[13][14] The next day, the band was heading to a festival in Orlando, Florida. Osbourne recalls his final conversation with Rhoads that night on the bus involved the guitarist admonishing him over his heavy drinking.[15] The last thing Rhoads said to him that night was “You’ll kill yourself, y’know? One of these days.”[15] After driving much of the night, they stopped in Leesburg, Florida, to fix a malfunctioning air conditioning unit on the bus while Osbourne remained asleep.[15] On the property there was an airstrip with small helicopters and planes. Without permission, tour bus driver and ex-commercial pilot Andrew Aycock took a small Beechcraft F35 plane registered to a Mike Partin.[16] On the first flight, Aycock took keyboardist Don Airey and tour manager Jake Duncan.[15] He then landed and a second flight took to the air with Rhoads and makeup artist Rachel Youngblood aboard. During the second flight, attempts were made to apparently ‘buzz’ the tour bus, where the other band members were sleeping.[17] Aycock succeeded in making two close passes, but botched the third attempt. At approximately 10 AM, after being in the air for approximately five minutes,[16] one of the plane’s wings clipped the top of the tour bus, breaking the wing into two parts and sending the plane spiraling out of control.[18] Rhoads and Youngblood were thrown through the plane’s windshield by the initial impact.[15] The plane then severed the top of a pine tree and crashed into the garage of a nearby mansion, bursting into flames. The plane was approximately ten feet off the ground and traveling at approximately 150 mph when it struck the mansion.[5] Keyboardist Don Airey was the only member of the band to witness the crash, as the rest were asleep in the bus.[5] Rhoads was killed instantly, as were Aycock (36) and Youngblood (58). All three bodies were burned beyond recognition, and were identified by dental records and Rhoads’ jewelry. According to Sharon Osbourne, who was asleep in the bus and awoken by the crash, “They were all in bits, it was just body parts everywhere”.[18] Though all were quite distraught, the remaining band and crew members were forced to remain in Leesburg for an additional two days, checking into the Hilco Inn,[5] until the investigation was complete.[18]Rhoads’ brother-in-law flew from California to Leesburg to identify what remained of the guitarist’s body.[18] -Wikipedia Randy Rhoads